Sunday, August 28, 2005

When Pecadillo was abroad.

Last February, I had the pleasure of visiting what is now my third favorite place in the world; London, England. (1st being my grandparents' house in Oklahoma, 2nd being Disneyland, and—in case you're wondering—4th is the Del Taco on the corner of Soledad and Bouquet Canyon Road.)

Pecadillo in Piccadilly
Pecadillo in Piccadilly


LondonAnyhoo, in just a week, London earned itself a place in my heart previously occupied only by chili-fries and dancing midgets. I was surprised, however, to find that most of what I thought to be true about the Old World was actually based on common misconceptions.

For instance, the food is actually pretty good. I found myself a reasonably good Mexican-food restaurant, a superb English-food place called Porters, and, I'm pleased to report that British Sausage McMuffins are served with two sausage patties. How 'bout that! One night, I ate a chicken dinner at a friend's house that was easily as good as any home-made chicken I'd had anywhere else.

A nap in the tower of London
A nap in the tower of London
Also, prior to my trip abroad, I was a coffee drinker. Not everyday, but I dug it. However, after being introduced to "English Tea" (tea with milk in it) I don't think I'll ever go back. And did you know that you don't have to use a tea bag to make tea???


Nigel?Not everyone in England is named "Nigel." In fact, I didn't meet a single bona fide Nigel the whole time I was there. Now that one caught me off guard. In all the movies, British people always have names like that. Not only was my visit to London Nigel-free, I didn't meet a single "Alister," "Sinclair," "Mandrake," or even an "Artful Dodger." Surprisingly, I actually met guys named Tony, Jon, and Peter.

We totally get lied to by Hollywood.

At John Bunyan's Tomb
At John Bunyan's Tomb

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger FX Turk said...

I didn't know you used to be a broad.

Oh wait -- you said "abroad". Nevermind. There were too many punchlines for that one anyway -- better that it was my dyslexia than your person history.

And my word verification image is "zlept". As is, "after I ate that whole can of chili, I zlept the rest of the afternoon in a grease-induced coma."

Monday, August 29, 2005 5:01:00 AM  
Blogger bp said...

I can tell you all about when Pecadillo was a broad, and what a broad he is... I mean was.

Monday, August 29, 2005 5:09:00 AM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I actually met an englishman named - I kid you not - Chester Marsh-tit. I am totally stupified as to the etymology of that last name, because, as far as I know, marshes have no ability to suckle young.

Fred

Hip and Thigh

Monday, August 29, 2005 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

Hey Field Marshall

Yes, that is most certainly a Cubs hat on my head. You gotta problem with that!?!?

Del Taco is the place to go in California. Think of Taco Bell only with slightly fresher ingredients and much bigger portions. It's easily the best of the bad Mexican-food joints. Don't feel bad, you can go to Sonics whenever you want. The closest one to me is a two hour drive away.

Monday, August 29, 2005 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger clyde said...

Check out my site man...
You really used to be a broad?
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=clydesilla

Monday, August 29, 2005 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger FX Turk said...

Pecadillo:

Dude -- I think you have been officially PUNKED. When random posters are wondering if you really used to be a broad in the meta, you have been soooo pwn'd.

It is going to be hard not to laugh when I see Phil on Thursday.

Monday, August 29, 2005 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Lange said...

I know right where that Del Taco is located, not far from my mom's house. I wish we had Del Taco's here in MN. Why do we in MN get all the crummy food places and you guys in CA get Del Taco, Stonefire Grill, Souplantation? I think it is a conspiracy! :)

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:59:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Lange said...

IN N OUT.... the best burgers, fries and shakes in town...

My wife had her first In N Out burger when we were on vacation and she loved it, only to disappoint her when she found out that we cannot get In N Out in Minneapolis!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

They are finally installing one here in Tucson on the North Side, I'm stoked.

I've considered quitting my nice job at IBM just to have a job at In-N-Out with all its benies!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

I especially like this post. I too was in for a shocker when I toured London, England, and Paris.
I found that saying "cents" by accident instead of "pents" can actually get you on death row, and i've never been hit on more by anyone then the French.
Pecadillo-i like your pose. The whole "hands in your pockets" really works for you.
;-)

Friday, September 02, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

9er

That's funny, I got hit on alot by French guys too. It's a small world.

Friday, September 02, 2005 9:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home