Friday, September 02, 2005

Pecadillo's Picks, volume 1

Every once in a while, I think a few recommendations are in order. Not just links to other blogs, mind you—but other excellent time-consuming media and products, too. The following is a list of quality time-wasters I have found particularly enjoyable.

TV
Has anyone seen that show on the National Geographic Channel called "The Dog "Whisperer"? That guy is awesome! Watching helpful shows about how to train your pet correctly or similar Animal-Planet-type topics is not usually my thing. Normally, I would much rather watch programs featuring real video clips of people getting mauled by a crazed circus elephant, a medical documentary about the effects of a flesh-eating virus, or news about an escaped Liger in Detroit. But there is something really cool about this guy. For one thing, his voice sounds like a pre-pubescent Ricardo Montalban. (Sadly, there is no counterpart for Tattoo on the program.) Still, the Dog Whisperer is able to turn even the meanest pit-bull into a cuddly little house dog, and every once in a while he gets bitten in the process.

BLOGS
Dave Cleland's got a winner. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way implying that Dave Cleland's blog is a total waste of time; it is actually sometimes edifying, and always one of my faves. However, a few months ago, he published a post in which he analyzed the endless debate of which is cooler: Pirates or Ninjas. It's without a doubt a very enjoyable read. As his central thesis is entirely incorrect, however, I deem that particular post a waste of time.

PRODUCTS
Last weekend, I purchased one of the most ingenious and essential kitchenware products I've ever seen. It's easily one of the greatest inventions since Gutenberg’s movable type printing-press. I'm speaking, of course, of the Chip & Salsa Sombrero hat tray.

The brim of the hat holds the chips (arranged in precisely the same manner as my famous chip-doughnut) and the top of the hat can be used to hold salsa or nacho cheese. The built-in cup that is designed to hold the salsa even detaches for easy cleaning. And what's more, it's dishwasher safe.

But wait; there's more. To uncover the salsa, one must press a button which simultaneously uncovers the dip and prompts the tray to play "Mexican Hat Dance". This thing is magical. This is surely something that will grace Pecadillo's actual kitchen for many years to come.

RESTAURANTS
My brother introduced me to one of the finest burrito joints known to man. A place that combines all the benefits of Subway's assembly-line style of preparation with the quality and freshness of Baja Fresh. The place is called Chipotle. If you've already discovered this fine franchise, then I congratulate you on your impeccably good taste. If you have yet to enjoy the magical burritos of which I speak, then I feel very sorry for you and suggest you get better friends. If you live in an area that has yet to boast its own Chipotle, then move. Do whatever you have to, just go there.

I always get the "Barbacoa" burrito (spicy braised and shredded beef) with pinto beans, rice, their hottest salsa, sour cream, and a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese. You're going to need a large drink.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger FX Turk said...

In the same way you cannot get Sonic in LA, you cannot get Chipotle in the Arkie/Okie/Missou region of the country. However, I did sample it in Dallas, and I agree it is brilliant.

BTW, if you have never heard your dad's story about Arkie and Okie, you should ask. It prolly doesn't sound the same in CA, but it's classic.

As for Pirates and Ninjas, you have obviously never heard of James Bond. What's he got that Pirates and Ninjas ain't got? Dames. He gets the dames. Among other things -- you'll have to read my whole thesis at Dave's blog for the particulars.

Friday, September 02, 2005 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger S.G. said...

Hi Pec, just discovered your site and was Very Amused by the Worst Christmas Ever story.

Anyhow, I wanted to link to it but you haven't stuck a "trackback" feature on your blog.

IF you want to - Haloscan with set your blog up with trackback. They make it real easy.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 3:21:00 AM  
Blogger Chris Freeland said...

Chipotle is one of our favorite places to eat. A little pricey for fast food, but definitely yummy. I'm a big fan of the burrito bowl, so I can mix the goop up on my own and evenly distribute the tastes. Why yes I amOCD.

When you're in Dallas next, I'll take you to Freebirds. It gives Chipotle a run for its money.

But here's something that will blow you away: Chipotle is owned by McDonalds.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 2:41:00 PM  
Blogger Away From The Brink said...

Dear Pec,

Responding here to the comment you left on my blog...

Thanks for your kind words. Any blogs in particular that you are referring to?

Yes, I am a GCC member, and I fellowship at The Guild on Friday nights.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger CSB said...

That's a good point about the chips and salsa sombrero hat. When I hear Gutenberg I think Chips and Salsa hat.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Lange said...

Yes, Chipotle is owned by McDonalds, and Qdoba is owned by Jack in the Box.

Chipotle is okay, but we have a local favorite here in Pancheros, same food, same concept, cheaper prices and best of all, within walking distance of my apartment...

Monday, September 05, 2005 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Alesso said...

Okay, Pecadillo, I am having a very hard time thinking that there is better mexican to be had than at Baja Fresh. Since Mo introduced me to the wonder of the Baja, I have been "Oh, so happy!" But I haven't tried Chipotle, so I guess I can't knock it. I looked on the website map, and sure enough, there is one in our area. Next time we're nearby, you know I'll be stoppin' there. Even if it IS owned by McD's!

Monday, September 05, 2005 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

I must comment about Chipotle. I was slow being convinced. I have been a devotee of Baja for years. But Chipotle caught me and let me tell you, it hasn't let me go! One final word and then there may be a future blog about this: The Burrito Bowl. It changed my life. I haven't gone back to the tortilla since I tried it.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Where's this Chipotle place in Santa Clarita? Or do I have to drive down into the valley? Do they have Shredded beef burritos? I am a personal fan of Benitos in between the Denny's and MacDonalds on Soledad, but I am always on the look out for good Mexican food.

Fred
Hip and Thigh

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:09:00 AM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

Freddy
The closest one to us is in Burbank, so it's a good place to go after church. It's in that shopping area next to Ikea and that mall, right off the 5. Go there dude, trust me. They stuff their burritos so full that you have to follow instructions on how to eat it. (instructions are printed on the napkins)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I shall go there forthwith

Fred

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Steele said...

interesting that everyone seemed to focus on chipotle when responding to this post. while chipotle is by far the best mexican food establishment on the planet (and by on the planet i am, of course, referring only to the united states...food in costa rica is much better, and in most parts of mexico for that matter. but they have an unfair advantage in that they eat that food all the time)

having said that, there is no way that pirates are better than ninjas. ninjas have the stealth factor, and they have some wicked cool samuri skills. i'm just saying, if the two were to fight, the ninja would have decapitated (because that is their preferred method of disposal) the pirate before the rum-drunk swash-buckler can say "avast ye land-lover."

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home