Sunday, January 17, 2010

An open letter to the people of Baja Fresh


Dear sir or ma'am,

Thank you so much for everything you do towards making the Baja Fresh experience memorable. I was in your establishment earlier today, getting lunch to go for my pregnant wife and I. Due to her bizarre pregnancy cravings, her usual order has been a plain burrito with only chicken, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream. Being a Mexican food connoisseur, I would never eat such an abomination under normal circumstances. But that's where you guys came in.

When I placed our order earlier today, I assumed that my Baja Burrito and my wife's specialty burrito would have some kind of distinguishable markings on their paper wrappers. Most comparable restaurants utilize stickers or some kind of specific writing to differentiate their food. But not you guys. No sir, a meal at Baja Fresh is more than just reasonably priced Mexican food; it's an exciting guessing game as well. Imagine my surprise when I got home and realized that our two very different burritos were totally indistinguishable.

What fun!

Today, we didn't just get a meal, we got a meal and a game... a game we lost.

Thank you so much for that mouthful of sour cream and lettuce that took me by surprise earlier today. I may go through life with the intention of never eating such a thing, but luckily you and the other good people of Baja Fresh knew what was better for me. You guys found a way to make me step outside my comfort zone and partake of some truly awful food.

As bad as that burrito was, I'm sure glad I tried it instead of the one that was actually intended for me. It's funny, I specifically remember that after I placed my order, the cashier repeated it back to me correctly before relaying it to the cook in the back. Somehow, I suppose the fry cook heard the cashier incorrectly, or perhaps something was lost in the translation. Either way, you should have been there to see the look on my wife's face when she took her first bite of what was supposed to be my burrito. Truth be told, even I would have been surprised by it, considering I ordered a Baja Burrito with steak and pinto beans. Now, had I ordered the "Diablo Shrimp Burrito" with black beans and cat meat.... then there would have been no surprise at all.

You know, it's been months since my wife suffered through the morning sickness phase of her pregnancy. Some might consider it the most unpleasant result of being pregnant, and some women experience it the entire nine months. Frankly, my wife has had it too good for too long. Thank you for knocking her back down a peg and allowing her to violently summon up that.... nostalgic reminder of new life.... all over the rug. I never liked that rug anyway.

Sincerely, Pecadillo

P.S. You have made a powerful enemy today, Baja Fresh.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Michael.Gabriel said...

Thank you SO much for sharing! My wife had to interrupt my reading and have me start over because of the unintelligibility caused by my uncontrollable laughter. Ya know, I regret to not be able to share such an experience as Baja Fresh has been fully expelled from the Central Ohio area.

Hope your family's recovery goes well.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Massimo Lorenzini said...

Maybe you'd like to live in a place that has no Baja Fresh at all like I do! I would love to have the option of going to BF and have them not mark my special order. I'd be begrateful.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Hunt said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...barfalicious!

(my word verification was buritamo - what is that, some kind of tomato burrito?)

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sye TenB said...

Or perhaps Jonathan, more appropriately buritamo = contaminated burrito ;-)

Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:41:00 PM  
Blogger rick said...

Too funny.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:20:00 PM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:44:00 PM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

The wife and I have become increasingly disappointed with Baja for that last few months. I don't know what it is. A squalid mediocrity among the attendants or what, but it seems as though every Burrito is the same. Can't go to "Paquito Mas" anymore, and the "I wana Iguana" over on this side of town is not nearly as good as the one on Decoro.

It's quite despairing. At least we have about 5 Pandas in the area, though.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

We always preferred Poquito Mas over Baja Freshness. Now we can add yet another reason for that.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(Please read to the end)
All Cops are Pigs! I can remember this incident where this cop, in total arrogance, way beyond the typical command presence needed for the job, was so out of line....

It's a shame when we characterize an entire organization by the actions of one person in one incident. We could say the same about the Reformed, Evangelicals, Baptist, Presbyterians, take you pick. Do you like it when you get smeared because someone in your organization is totally out of line? (Can you say Rodney King?)

Yes they screwed up at that particular Baja Fresh. Yes you should be upset. But your resolution should be specifically with the manager of that store and the employees who were negligent/incompetent. Maybe the manager has been looking for a good reason to fire that cook, and your specific criticism is just the thing they need to make the move.

Rethink your tactics Pecadillo.

Now, my final comment is this: I wouldn't say way I did in the first line if I didn't have the utmost respect for law enforcement. My grandfather was LA Sheriff, and my father recently retired after 35 years in the LAPD. (Longer than Pecadillo has been alive I'd guess). I myself have 19 years of military service. So the words I choose are not flippant nor out of disrespect, just intended to make a point.

Be safe and God bless you.

Monday, January 18, 2010 7:54:00 AM  
Blogger hymns that preach said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, January 18, 2010 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger hymns that preach said...

"I was in your establishment earlier today, getting lunch to go for my pregnant wife and I."

The word is "me" as in "my pregnant wife and ME."

If you were not out getting lunch for your pregnant wife, would you have been "getting lunch to go for I?"

Think about it.

Monday, January 18, 2010 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

This is why I don't blog much.

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Leberwurst said...

Well, when dad promotes your blog on FB no tellin' who pipes in... anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, be of good cheer, it was Mexi Food that started my wife's labor way back when - maybe this'll work out OK! Hope Mrs Pec is recovering...

Monday, January 18, 2010 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah Johnson said...

Steve,

Thanks for the free lessons in comedy writing. I took copious notes.

Rodney King? Really?

Rethink YOUR tactics.

XOXO
Mensa Reject

Monday, January 18, 2010 5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't let some of these folks discourage you, Pec - Many of us were sitting on the edge of our seats just waiting for ya to blog again. I, too, hope Mrs. Pec is feeling better (should i have said me, too,...?) Poor lady. The LORD bless and keep the three of YOU!

Monday, January 18, 2010 6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, January 25, 2010 2:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pec,
Let me encourage you to totally remove the very last comment - Please.

Monday, January 25, 2010 5:45:00 PM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

Sorry Barb, I just now saw that.

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Francisco Murphy said...

Wow. Everything from someone not being able to take a joke and taking a shot at you for being "prejudiced" to a grammar nazi. Yes, no wonder you rarely update.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mercy said...

Passing through, and simply loved it--so much so that I linked it to mine :)

God Bless.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Solameanie said...

I thought it was hilarious.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:56:00 AM  
Blogger jlosinski said...

Mr. Pecadillo,
Long time listener, first time poster-
Listen, I want to share one of my food adventures, can you help me out? perhaps a guest post? I'd hate to see your fathers legacy not passed on to other foodies. i give you- Markdown Sushi
http://jlosinski.blogspot.com/2009/09/markdown-sushi.html

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:38:00 PM  
Blogger Francisco Murphy said...

Wow, some real tightwads.

Your indictment of Baja Fresh is spot on. Ever since they were bought by a bigger company (Wendy's maybe?) the amount of meat in the tacos and burritos has lessened drastically, the taste isn't as good and they're closing stores left and right.

The #1 store ever, in Newbury Park is shuttered. Door's locked, an eviction notice is on the front door - all of the equipment and EVERYTHING is still inside.

This not a healthy company. They're on the verge of collapse. McDonald's first store is wide open as is In N Out's.

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home