Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pecadillo's Kitchen volume 2

Pecadillo cooks!

You may remember that I made a promise to never post a recipe with exact measurements, and I planned to stand by that promise. But here's the thing; I've come across a pudding recipe that is so good, I'd be willing to break all of my rules just to have more of this pudding.

Now, if you're like me—and let's face it, if you're actually reading this then you probably are—then you didn't know there was any other kind of pudding than the ready-in-five-minutes, Bill Cosby stuff you can buy at the store. Well, apparently, in days of yore (I'm talking about back even before Bill Cosby's time), when people wanted pudding, they would spend hours mixing and blending various creams and flavors together into the delicious dessert we take for granted today. Talk about roughing it, don't even get me started on tribal Indian Jello recipes... but I digress.

what contest?
A few months ago, at the CrossRoads hoe down, a good friend of mine, Christen, brought homemade banana pudding that she made from scratch. It was so good I think I may have shed a tear. I'm not kidding, this stuff was magical. This was back before I was in the academy, but I'm telling you, if I had a gun with me, I'd have taken the whole bowl hostage.

Christen gave me her recipe, but it was encrypted with measurements and chef lingo directions that mean absolutely nothing to me or to the type of people that read this blog. I have a strong suspicion that most of my readers are a lot like me... you know, my 'pectators. But at least we're men - not fancy boys, so what if we're all going to die alone. When we cook, we don't think in terms of cups and ounces; we use handfuls and little handfuls. We don't bake; we microwave. And to us, "fondue" is a four-letter word.

"Then why, Pec", you ask, "would you post a recipe with fancy boy measurements we can't possibly understand?" Well my answer is that the pudding is just that good. We may all be terminally single, but we have to know someone that can make this pudding for us. Whether it's your mom, or your sister or some fancy boy you might know, just find someone. You won't be disappointed.

Her recipe is as follows:

To serve 10 People (or 1 Pecadillo)

Ingredients:

1 (14-oz.) can of condensed milk
1 (3.5-oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
1 box vanilla wafers
4-5 bananas, dipped in lemon juice and then sliced, OR sliced first and sprinkled heavily with EverFresh fruit preserver (then brown very quickly, even after the pudding is assembled)

Directions:
1. Whip whipping cream in a Kitchen Aid or a blender until light and fluffy.
(her words, not mine)

2. Mix together water, pudding mix, and condensed milk until well blended, and then fold in a whipped cream.

3. In a large clear bowl or trifle bowl (trifle bowls work well for double batches), spread one thin layer of the pudding/cream mixture across the bottom. Then line the sides of the bowl all the way around with vanilla wafers (standing upright in the pudding) and also place some, evenly spaced across the pudding layer. Next, layer sliced bananas liberally in the spaces between the wafers and on top. Repeat layering with a thicker layer of the pudding, then the wafers, then the bananas, until you reach the top of your bowl. How many layers you have will depend on the height of your bowl, but we usually do about 3-4. Be carefull to watch your proportions of pudding, wafers, and bananas so that you don't run out... you want your last layer to be a nice thick layer of pudding. Smooth it nicely across the top and top with a few sprinkles of crumbled vanilla wafers.

4. Refrigerate the pudding for at least an hour or two so that it will be nice and chilled for serving. However, as the vanilla wafers get soggier and the bananas get browner the longer that it sits after you make it. I probably wouldn't recommend making this one the night before. It's best to refrigerate it no longer than 5-6 hours before serving.


Enjoy
Happy little Pec

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger bp said...

That pudding was amazing. If those of you out there can follow the instructions and make it the right way it will change your life.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

He ain't lying folks. This is life changing pudding.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger bp said...

I remember two things about that night.
1)The pudding
2)The Daisy Dukes that I wore
... seeing me in daisy dukes may also be a life changing experience, but probably not for the better.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Chris Freeland said...

hmmm... this amazing thing just happened to me.

I read your blog and was hungry. Then I read C-crest's comments about his Daisy Dukes and wasn't hungry anymore.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pudding! Life changing, eh? Hmmm...my brother is one of them fancy boys...I bet he could whip up a batch for me...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

Trifle bowls?

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:34:00 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

I can make it. The key is to outwit what youre workin' with.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Frank Di Gerl said...

Life changing pudding... I'll have to get my sis to make it. Cuz if I do... It'll change life in the same direction seeing C-train in Daisy Dukes would.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger Theteak said...

Well THANKS for rubbing it in Pec. Late last year Australia's entire bannanana crop was totally wiped out in a huge storm (tropical cyclone Larry) and so now those little yellow blighters cost a small fortune. In fact, they're so expensive stores don't even bother trying to sell them. I am not kidding when I say that I've not seen a bannnana in so long I've forgotten how to spell the name. So, I'll just have to imagine the pudding.
I think I've got something in my eye... I have to go now...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger clyde said...

I am impressed. I was truly impressed by that pudding and couldn't stop talking about it afterward either. Apparently Christen had a lot of folks raving about it and had a small stack of papers which contained the recipe for it in Crossroads the next day.

Make it then bring it over for dessert. Yum. We can have a law enforcement/IT guy discussion which would be most pleasant.

Also, since I took the picture that's featured now in two of your posts, when will I see royalties?

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:23:00 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

In my line of work, I have had to deal extensively with fancy boys, and have (through that association) necessarily been required to pick up some of the lingo. I declare, with the exception of the trifle bowls, I almost understand this recipe (pronouced: REE- CYPE).

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger bp said...

Avast! Out on the high seas we wear Daisy Dukes all the time. They allow for the cool sea air to sooth our sore sailor's legs. Fortunately, I have the legs to pull them off.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Theteak said...

Or do you in fact have peg legs that you can take off?
Justathought

Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:13:00 AM  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Years ago, back when I was a real youngin, my mother used to buy this boxed pudding that you had to boil on a stove top. The unique thing about this pudding, however, is that it would form a firm, chocolate shell on the top after it set. I am telling you, it was similar to how you all are describing this banana pudding: You would start weeping as you ate it because you knew it would be gone soon.

I have never been able to find this pudding anywhere. It remains in the magical realm of my never-to-be reclaimed childhood.

Fred

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger FX Turk said...

I can now never even bother with this recipe because it will conjure in me the picture of C-Crest in Daisy Dukes.

You take the fun out of everything, Jack Russell.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger bp said...

A party isn't a party until I bust out the Daisy Dukes. Originally Pecadillo was going to wear a pair as well-- but his came out looking more like a skirt. They also looked really bad with his cowboy boots.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger bp said...

C-train:A party isn't a party until I bust out the Daisy Dukes.

Avast! I would forfeit all the booty I have ever collected if it would ensure that you did not bust out of your Daisy Dukes.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger fredsgirl said...

My hubby came home bragging about this recipe, practically begging me to make it. He went on about how complicated it was and the many steps required(including "dipping the bananas in lemon juice" - mimicking the motion). I prefer cooking from scratch (although I'm not a huge pudding fan), so I am happy to ablige. I laughed when I read the 2nd ingredient ("instant" pudding). The way Fred was talking, I expected to spend hours in the kitchen watching the saucepan like a hawk in order to create this perfect homemade pudding. Looks like we have a little help from Cosby! ;) Can't wait to taste it...

P.S. Its nice to be able to finally read your blog - Fred often mentions it. By the by, I am guilty of being a cook who levels off the measuring cup with a knife - passed on by my 8th grade Home Eonomics teacher (when they actually used to offer that in public schools). :) The more I cook, the less I do it (call it freedom with experience).

Friday, August 11, 2006 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

I asked my sister (niner) if she went to this hodown. She did not. I can't figure out why she did not.

Man I'd be the total party animal one of those things. Give me some biboveralls and I'd join in wrastl'n one of d'ose d'ere pigs.

She didn't find that amuzing.

However, I am glad I was not there, the site of C-train in daisy dukes would have ruined all the fun

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

Frank why i didn't go to this hodunk party was because of a schedule conflict.

and the thought of you in bib'overalls wrestling down a muddy pig in all your glory is entertaining.

Reminds me of the good ole days...

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Don't make me bust out the logs!

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can just see it now, "Benny Hinn's Life Changing Pudding" with ingredients imported from The Holy Lands .... get yours now for a special love offering of only $95...

{{{Candleman}}}

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger vetpath said...

it may be good, but its still instant pudding.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 4:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home